Monday, July 7, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?



I'm participating in this fun meme created by Book Journey and Teach Mentor Texts.

I read a lot over the last week!  I love that feeling!

PICTURE BOOKS and EASY READERS:


Amanda Pig, Schoolgirl by Jean Van Leeuwen

Cute story about a pig's first day of Kindergarten and how she helps out a fellow classmate. Natalie has a new favorite series.




President Taft is Stuck in the Bath by Mac Barnett

This was a fun story about President Taft getting stuck in his bathtub in the White House. He calls in various government officials to get him out and none of them can come up with a plan (sound familiar?). Finally, Taft listens to his wife when she suggests they all grab hold of Taft and pull him from the tub. The end of the book has a list of facts we know about Taft and his obsession with oversized tubs. Certainly an interesting read, kids could learn a little about government offices and something about a past president. I particularly loved the illustrations because they're done by the Mercy Watson illustrator!



Lost for Words by Natalie Russell

A cute book about how sometimes it's easier to sketch your thoughts and feelings than it is to write them. Could validate some kids' struggles with writing by allowing them the freedom to draw to get ideas instead. Great book for writing workshop.



The Good-Pie Party by Liz Garton Scanlon

A young girl is upset about moving away from friends. Instead of having a good bye party, they decide to have a good pie party where everyone brings a pie.



One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss

A classic rhyming book for beginning readers.



MIDDLE GRADE BOOKS:


Absolutely Almost by Lisa Graff

I absolutely loved Albie! This book reminded me so much of Wonder--a 5th grader who struggles and relies on the support of those close to him, in this case, his amazing babysitter Calista. Albie's parents want to help him deal with his shortcomings at school, but they are overextended in their careers and often can't figure out why things are so hard for Albie. Calista helps Albie recognize that he is important and special and above all, kind. This will certainly go with my opening empathy unit. It might just become the first read-aloud of the year!


ADULT BOOKS:


Lost Lake by Sarah Addison Allen

This one has been on my list since it came out. I wasn't disappointed! This is a story of finding new hope in old places. Great summer read!



Show Your Work! by Austin Kleon

I loved this little book about showing your work to the world! Kleon argues that to be acknowledged for the work you do, you must put your work out there and share it with the world. In return, you'll acquire a following and your work will become known. I enjoyed the style of this little book and appreciated all of the various artists he included. I even found a few passages to use with my 5th graders during writing workshop!


CURRENTLY READING:


A Snicker of Magic by Natalie Lloyd

I'm still listening to this in the car, when I'm by myself.  I like it, but I wish I would have just read it myself, because it's dragging on and on.



The Chaperone by Laura Moriarty

This is another audio and it's long!  I've been listening to it while working out.  It's wonderful!



This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper

This is our book club selection of the month.  So far, it's pretty amusing.

I have a stack of middle grade novels on my nightstand to choose from for what to read next.  It's a tough choice!

I'd love to know what you're reading!









2 comments:

  1. I loved Lost Lake. Actually, I love anything Sarah Addison Allen writes. I've read so much about Absolutely Almost, that I'm going to have to get my hands on it this summer. I read A Snicker of Magic in June (as a book) and loved it. I love audiobooks but am not sure it would work. This is Where I Leave you looks like an intense read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there Megan. The President Taft book cover sold me - plus it's a Mac Barnett title! Have to find that one soonest. I loved Snicker of Magic, I do hope the audio experience gets better for you.

    ReplyDelete